The Music Education Council is the International Society for Music Education's National Affiliate for the UK.
ISME is a worldwide organisation that seeks to celebrate the diverse ways that people engage with, and develop in and through, music. Founded in 1953, ISME represents an international, interdisciplinary, intercultural network of professionals who strive to understand and promote music learning across the lifespan. ISME shares a commitment to culture, education, conservation and the durable development of our cultural heritage, and to evidence-based policy and practice.
The International Society for Music Education (ISME) believes that lived experiences of music, in all their many aspects, are a vital part of the life of all people. ISME's mission is to enhance those experiences by:
- building and maintaining a worldwide community of music educators characterized by mutual respect and support;
- fostering global intercultural understanding and cooperation among the world's music educators; and
- promoting music education for people of all ages in all relevant situations throughout the world.
Why become an ISME member?
- because you care about music education
- because you want to develop professionally
- because you want to be part of an international network of music educators
- because you want what ISME can offer
Individual member benefits
- monthly electronic ISME Newsletters
- free copies of the ISME Journal (four per year) and discounts on other publications
- regular information from the Society (electronic postcards, website news and social media)
- access to ISME Commission information and activities and other areas of special interest
- access to ISME online publication repository
- voting rights
- professional development opportunities
- networking and linking
- photo galleries and media
- information, research and teaching resources, found with the Individual Members Only sections of the ISME website
- networking - You will meet and be able to communicate with music educators from nearly 90 countries
- energize yourself - Stretch your thinking in new directions
- professional growth – Attend an ISME World Conference where you will be able to take part in a host of presentations are offered in various styles:
- roundtables, symposia, lectures, workshops, demonstrations, posters
- communication and sharing - You will meet international colleagues who are eager to communicate and share ideas between conferences
“In being a member of ISME, you are supporting the development of music education internationally by supporting the Society that works on your behalf for the betterment of music education in all parts of the world. In doing so, you help make the world of music education much stronger professionally, politically and theoretically.”
Learn more about membership here
World Conference 2016 Legacy Project
ISME holds a World Conference every two years and provides funding to the host country to carry out a legacy project. In 2016 the World Conference was held in the UK - hosted in Glasgow by the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. The legacy project will be led by MEC and details can be found here. If you are interested in being part of the project then e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.